THE AUSTRALASIAN MARINESAFE FORUM
MAKING AUSTRALIA THE SAFEST PLACE TO WORK IN THE OFFSHORE OIL & GAS INDUSTRY
Based in Perth, the MarineSafe Forum has been established, to
“ACTIVELY CHAMPION PRACTICES AND INITIATIVES TO PROMOTE SAFETY WITHIN THE MARINE SECTOR OF THE AUSTRALASIAN OFFSHORE OIL & GAS INDUSTRY.”
The MarineSafe Forum acknowledges the existence and content of the UK Marine Safety Forum which has been utilised as a role model & source of information.
The first forum meeting was held on 08-April-06 at Woodside Plaza, Perth.
In January 2017 an academic paper titled “MarineSafe – An Industry Voice” was written by Peter Hill which looked at the history and evolution of MarineSafe. A copy of the paper can be downloaded here.
WHO ARE WE?
The membership is made up of Ship Owning / Managing Companies, Logistics Companies, Oil & Gas Companies, Survey & Seismic Interests, Marine Consultants, Marine Contractors and other interested parties – port authorities, regulators, health, safety and environmental consultants, marine security companies.
The primary aim is to provide information, initiatives and maritime experience focused on ‘Zero Tolerance’ of any marine safety incidents.
To achieve this goal we will –
- Initiate discussions related to maritime safety issues in an open forum of MarineSafe Members, service users and providers.
- Identify areas of particular concern and through stakeholder engagement agree on corrective or preventative actions required in order to prevent the realization of major incidents.
- Take pre-emptive action on minor safety issues which have the potential to escalate to an unacceptable level of risk.
- Work together to share safety information, lessons learned and good practice across the whole industry.
- Actively champion and facilitate the development of good practices and initiatives to promote safety within the maritime sector of the Australasian Oil and Gas Industry.
- Periodically assess the effectiveness of its Objectives.
- Review and amend this Charter periodically under the guidance of the MarineSafe Steering Committee.
- Encourage Industry Guidelines to be made available to and followed by all those involved in the marine related processes.
MarineSafe expects that its General Membership will: –
- Promote within their own organisation and the greater Oil and Gas Industry, the benefits of participating with MarineSafe and actively encourage non-members to join MarineSafe.
- Ensure that personnel within their organisation actively participate and attend MarineSafe forums and events.
- Consider formally adopting the philosophy of sharing information relating to incidents/events/learnings within the Oil and Gas Industry by utilising MarineSafe as the vehicle to facilitate the sharing of such information into their organisations Safety Management System.
- Participate in the activities of MarineSafe without commercial motive, gain or loss.
Members encourage the promotion and development of a “responsibility for safety” culture within their own organisation. A culture of Responsibility for Safety, which means, amongst other things, that employees are required to work safely, follow procedures and guidelines, look after colleagues and intervene when unsafe behaviour is observed within their own organisation.
2017 MARINESAFE AUSTRALASIA OFFICE BEARERS
Chairman: Alistair Martin (Svitzer)
Coordinator: Amanda Amaral (Quadrant Energy)
The Forums will be free of charge. Periodic levies will be made to meet extra-ordinary costs